Tuesday, December 15, 2009

WE ALL HAVE A YMCA STORY


I have just celebrated my 19th year with the Northern Middlesex YMCA. What a journey it has been. When I started at the Y my colleagues teased me that I would be following in the footsteps of my Aunt Jane Sullivan who worked at the YMCA for over 40 years. The thought of being in one place for an extended period of time did not appeal to the 24 year old version of me. The Y has a way of sucking you in! The Y became home, a place that has been both nurturing of my individual strengths and demanding of personal growth and dedication. My Y story is simple; I met my husband at the YMCA Camp Ingersoll, brought both my children into the world while employed at the YMCA, and made lifelong friendships. I am extremely proud that my work and effort has positively impacted thousands of young people. I can’t imagine the last nineteen years without the Y in my life.

I am proud of the impact the YMCA has on the overall wellness of the community. The YMCA impacts so many lives through health and fitness programs, our men’s residence, high quality early childhood education and before and after school programs, mentoring at risk youth, camp and summer programs, swim lessons, and more. If you ask a YMCA staff person why they work for the Y they will talk about the people that they meet, help, and provide encouragement to each day. There are so many stories of how the YMCA has enriched people’s lives and those stories are important to share. Your stories are examples of how the Y is a community asset providing value to members and their families, to employees past and present, and to the community as a whole. I hope that you will consider sharing your Y story with us. How has the YMCA made a difference in your life? Send your Y story to mrulnick@midymca.org and I will post it on our blog. I can’t wait to read about the different historical perspectives and impact that the Y has had over the years.

No comments: