Why not learn a new winter skill? Skiing or snowboarding can change your whole outlook on the coming of winter. Now I know what you're thinking: it's expensive for the family, it's cold, and I don't know how. Well here are some tips to get you started:
- Join a ski club. Aetna has a ski club available for anyone. A thirty dollar membership can save you close to 50% on a lift ticket. It also provides discounts at local ski shops (Alpine Haus).
- Rent equipment. Ski equipment doesn't need to be expensive. Rent at a local ski shop and get huge savings compared to mountain rental prices.
- Take lessons. Learning can be difficult, but think of the memories your family will be making together as you experience your first snow plow or carve. They cost money, but you can get discounts through ski clubs and it's the fastest and easiest way to learn.
- Plan an outing. Take time to prepare and plan your experience. Some mountains might be close, but have bad conditions, others might be known as family mountains (Okemo). Avoid busy weekends and holidays; you don't want to learn in the middle of thousands of people. Early and late in the season offers discounted lift tickets and more comfortable weather.
- HAVE FUN! Learning any new skill can be challenging, but whether you're with your family, friends, or yourself think about the benefits. Enjoy the outdoors, get a sense of accomplishment as you get off your first lift, experience a whole body workout, and enjoy the picturesque scene you remembered as a child!