Tuesday, February 1, 2011

MEET THE MIDDLESEX YMCA STAFF TEAM


Karin James is the Director of the Phelps Ingersoll Center for Children

Karin has worked for the Middlesex YMCA for 11 years. She resides in Columbia with her Husband Robert and will graduate from Eastern CT State University with her Bachelors Degree in Liberal Arts with Minors in Child Psychology and Early Childhood Education.

Fun Fact: I am an avid UCONN Basketball fan of both the men’s and women’s teams. I enjoy going to the games when I can and I have gone to 3 final fours.

What is your role at the YMCA?

I am the Child Care Director of the Phelps Ingersoll Center for Children, a licensed and accredited Preschool Program of 53 preschoolers and a staff of 11. I provide the oversight for all aspects of the program including enrollment, curriculum, monthly reporting, supervising, and budgeting.

What it the most rewarding part of your job?

The most rewarding part of my job is to see the children learning and growing through play each day. To know that the center is guiding the children we serve through the learning process and making it a fun activity. I also enjoy when the children walk by my office and acknowledge me with a wave or a “Hi”, as they go by.

What makes the Y a special place?

I think the “Y” is a special place, because of the pride and commitment the staff take in providing a great service whether it is through the Child Care Center or another Y program. The community is impacted in a positive way by the services that the “Y” can offer at reduced rates, through its strong kids campaign and partnerships with other agencies such as United Way and Middletown School Readiness.

No comments: