Monday, May 3, 2010

Appreciating Your Mom; a Lesson for Children


Before I had children of my own I never really appreciated Mother's Day as a Holiday. Don't get me wrong, I have always loved and appreciated my mother, but in retrospect I never gave Mother's Day the attention it deserved. Now that I have 2 children I want them to recognize the opportunity to celebrate their wonderful mother. Initially my plan was to make a big deal for my wife and let them see and share in it, but I have a new plan that I think is even better:

I'm going to make a big deal for MY mother.

Like all behaviors that you want your children to demonstrate, it is necessary to role model them. By making a special day for my mother, they will see that love and appreciation are not just for young mothers and children but rather that our devotion and understanding of the work and sacrifices that our mothers made grows stronger with each passing year.
I am thankful to my mother for so many things and I have often failed to find ways to communicate that to her. I hope that my children will not repeat my carelessness.

Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 9th. I encourage you to do something special for your mom and in so doing , it will be something significant for your children.

Have any good ideas?

No comments: