Thursday, May 27, 2010

June 2nd hike preview!

Last year I had the incredible opportunity to hike in various parts of the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. This is truly an awe inspiring place where amazing views hit you in the face at every other turn of the path. I’d say this was one of those places where the hiking bug really took hold and became a more regular part of my life. Being outdoors taking in the sights and smells of all nature has to offer has added a richness to my life that I hope will continue for many years to come. Sharing the experience of exploration and discovery with others is an added bonus. The shared sense of WOW! is a way of joining together that doesn’t happen every day.


Our 1st and 3rd Wednesday hikes here at the Y have allowed that shared WOW! to continue. We have explored places together that none of us have been to before and we’ve seen sights that are really quite inspiring. My feelings for conservation and preservation have been enhanced, my sense of joy for the simple/natural has been expanded.


Our hike on Wednesday, June 2nd promises to be a continuation of this. We’ll head out on the Mattabesett Trail as it wonders past Millers Pond. When I did a preview hike out here last weekend I was amazed that in sections I was reminded of a hike around Jenny Lake in the Tetons.


If you like to be outdoors and active, if you like the company of other who are similarly inclined, if you want to discover some great spaces right here in our backyard, please join us. We leave the Y parking lot at 4 p.m. and typically return between 6:30 and 7:00. A heavy downpour and/or lightning strikes will keep us away but a little rain won’t stop us. Come on down!

No comments: